Friday, October 2, 2009

Poem in October

Poem in October
by Dylan Thomas

        It was my thirtieth year to heaven
    Woke to my hearing from harbour and neighbour wood
        And the mussel pooled and the heron
            Priested shore
        The morning beckon
    With water praying and call of seagull and rook
    And the knock of sailing boats on the webbed wall
            Myself to set foot
        That second
    In the still sleeping town and set forth.

        My birthday began with the water-
      Birds and the birds of the winged trees flying my name
    Above the farms and the white horses
            And I rose
        In a rainy autumn
    And walked abroad in shower of all my days
    High tide and the heron dived when I took the road
        Over the border
            And the gates
        Of the town closed as the town awoke.

Complete poem is here.

No comments: